Friday, June 24, 2011

Quick Takes Homeschooling 2.0

Megan apologizes for the lack of picture; she is posting this from someone else's computer.

1. Homeschooling 2.0 refers to the fact that Teresa is frequently refered to frequently as family 2.0. I will admit there have been times I have not looked forward to homeschooling for 13 or so more years.

2. Doing VBS last week at our parish really reminded me about school life. Up every day, all sorts of stuff to bring in or pay for (CD, diaper donation for the crisis pregnancy center, Tshirt for tie dying), and well Teresa dear is so so active and if she is tired or hungry or interested in the room decorations she won't listen to the lesson.

3. I'm planning on starting K with Teresa in the next month or so. She won't be 5 until October so this year can totally be practice.

4. Why I'm starting in July is that maybe just maybe if all this paperwork and other stuff falls into place we will adopt again this year and it's likely a newborn. Homeschooling with a newborn I've never done. Andrea and Megan were 10 and 12 when we started so I've never done a K student either.

5. The curriculum has fallen in place the last few weeks. I'm using CHC for phonics and handwriting. MUS for, well, Math. A CHC number workbook before the MUS primer. Image of God K for religion. I don't think I'll use the God's Love Story book that CHC uses too for Religion. Other than that we'll read a bunch and do any of the Little Saints Preschool that we want to do. Likely mostly crafts since Teresa loves to glue and cut and color and I AM NOT CREATIVE.

6. The Image of God books came today. I LOVE THEM. I need to figure out how to ask our religious ed dept of our parish to use these instead. The stuff they use for Jesus Hour (our preschool/K CCD) now is so weak. Image of God talks about communion is the bread and wine becoming Jesus. I didn't know this until I was in my mid-thirties. It also has lots of worksheets and crafty stuff which Teresa adores. She thinks mazes are so cool.

7. Puzzles are educational too. This week I bought Teresa this Melissa and Doug puzzle. I think 100 pieces might take her a bit to master. The last 50 piece one I bought her she mastered in 1/2 hour.


Go to Hallie for more quick takes and to Conversion Diary to see Jen's new daughter.

No comments: